Monday, October 19, 2009

STORIES BEHIND THE HYMNS: "AMAZING GRACE"

By Tim Claubaugh

TEXT: Vs. 1-4 by John Newton, 1725-1807 / Vs. 5 attr. Bo John Reese, ca. 1859
MUSIC: “Virginia Harmony”
TUNE: NEW BRITAIN
METER: CM (Common Meter: 86 86)

John Newton was born in London. His father was a sea-captain and his mother was a very devout Christian woman who raised John in the teachings of the Episcopal Church. By age 11, John was sailing the Mediterranean with his father, but by age 17, he completely gave up his religious principles. In 1742 he met and fell in love with Mary Catlett, and they were married in 1750.

He took a job on a slave ship that set sail for Sierra Leone. During the trip he mistreated others and he himself was mistreated by other crewmen and (as he wrote), “had you known that my conduct, principles and heart were still darker than my outward condition…” He eventually was able to board another ship back to England. During this return trip he spent a lot of time reading “Imitation of Christ,” and on March 10, 1748 a violent storm (where he thought himself as Jonah – the reason for the ship’s almost certain demise). It was during this storm that another violent storm “broke over his soul” and his life began to change. He always refereed to that date has his “spiritual birthday.”

However, that date was just the beginning of his transformation. He did not become a full “regenerated Christian" until August 1754. He slowly began to consecrate his life to Christ and in 1764 he was ordained a priest in the Episcopal Church.

He served several churches with his last 2 in London beginning in 1779. He died there on December 21, 1807, at age 82. He wrote his own epitaph which reads, “JOHN NEWTON, Clerk, once an infidel and libertine, was by the rich mercy of our Lord and Saviour, JESUS CHRIST, preserved, restored, pardoned and appointed to preach the faith he had long labored to destroy, near sixteen years at Olney in Bucks, and twenty-eight years in his Church.”

Newton’s fellowship with William Cowper produced the publication of their “Olney Hymns.” Book I, Number 41 has Newton’s life-story in the following form:

1. Amazing Grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind but now I see.

2. ‘Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I firs believed

3. The Lord has promised good to me,
His word, my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

4. Through many dangers, toils, and snares,
I have already come;
‘Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

(Verse 5 attributed to John Reese, not John Newton)
5. When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we’d first begun.

1 comment:

  1. The Contemporary Choir does an arrangement called "Amazing Grace / My Chains are Gone" by Chris Tomlin. Come to the 11:30 Mass this Sunday (October 25) to hear it!

    ReplyDelete