Monday, March 23, 2009

SEASONAL HYMN: LENT

By Tim Claubaugh

There are MANY excellent hymns that are sung during the Lent season. "What Wondrous Love is This" was sung at all the Masses this past weekend (March 21 & 22). This beautiful hymn has been around for a long time. The text was written by Alexander Means (1801-1853) and is written in 12 9 12 12 9 meter. The tune (WONDROUS LOVE) comes from the 1835 edition of "Southern Harmony" and has been part of the great American Hymnody for well over 100 years.

The Verses:

1. What wondrous love is this, o my soul, o my soul?What wondrous love is this, o my soul?What wondrous love is this that caused the Lord of blissTo bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul;To bear the dreadful curse for my soul?

2. To God and to the Lamb I will sing, I will sing;To God and to the Lamb I will sing;To God and to the Lamb who is the great I Am,While millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing;While millions join the theme, I will sing.

3. And when from death I'm free, I'll sing on, I'll sing on;And when from death I'm free, I'll sing on;And when from death I'm free, I'll sing and joyful be,And through eternity I'll sing on, I'll sing on!And through eternity, I'll sing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment